LITTLE WARRIOR OUT OCTOBER 1, 2013!
Thank you for two raucous, sold-out nights for the CD Release of Little Warrior at The Sound Room in Oakland, CA.
“A perfect blend of beauty, elegance and power.”
Engelken never imitates, and adds her own unique and fresh arrangements, making “Little Warrior” another gem in her ever growing and sparkling catalogue.”
- E. “Doc” Smith, BeyondChron.org
TRACKS ON WIDGET: Joining Lisa, Bill Cantos (pno), Sam Bevan (bs), and Matthew Swindells (drms) are:
1. “Foggy Bottom” (by Lisa) with Erik Jekabson (tpt) and Dan Feiszli (tamb).
2. “Viva la felicita” (by Franco Godi) with Carlos Oliveira (gtr), Joel Behrman (tbn & tpt), Evan Francis (fl); backing vocalists Christie Winn, Jennifer Lee, and Carey Williams.
3. “Undertow” (Lisa’s new lyric version of Nefertiti): with Erik Jekabson (tpt), Joel Behrman (tbn), and Robert Roth (ten).
It all started with the Valentines Day Recordings of February 2012: Lisa and a powerhouse trio of West Coast musicians came together to lay the groundwork for the Little Warrior Project. A two-day magical, creative and collaborative session brought to life the eleven tracks on Little Warrior. Lisa was joined by L.A.-based Bill Cantos (Dori Caymmi, Phil Collins, Dianne Schurr, Herb Alpert & Lani Hall) on piano and B-3, bassist Sam Bevan and drummer Matt Swindells.
4. “Housemate from Hell” (by Lisa Engelken) featuring Rob Reich (acc) and Erik Jekabson (tpt).
Lisa served as the project’s producer, arranger and composer for all 11 tracks on Little Warrior. Since the Valentines Day Sessions, Lisa has called upon the best Bay Area musicians for guest appearances on accordion, trumpet, trombone, flute, tenor, guitars, backing vocalists and much more!
Little Warrior is the follow-up to Caravan, also produced and arranged by Engelken, and named to the “Best of 2010″ List by the Jazz Journalists Association.
“In short, Engelken defines the ‘extra’ in extraordinary.”
– Christopher Loudon, JazzTimes
“Arranging and producing Caravan has been an important journey for me: self exploration to self realization. A wandering yet steadfast path of discovery, resistance, acceptance, despair, bliss, setbacks, small victories…so many lessons learned. Success and failure are fabulously intertwined! And I feel great joy in knowing ‘This is mine!’ “
CD Art Design by Louis Cubba
Listen to Caravan on pandora.com and create your own Lisa Engelken Radio Station!
“Caravan” includes 10 fresh arrangements by Engelken and features the best musicians in the Bay Area. You may listen to tracks on the website here.
Track List for Caravan:
1. we’ll be together again
2. just one of those things
3. canto de ossanha
5. afro blue
6. trouble child
7. winter moon
8. from the earth (Lisa’s new lyric version of “Red Clay”)
9. white wedding
10. detour ahead
BONUS TRACK: East of the Sun (available on iTunes! only)
Musicians appearing on Caravan are:
- Adam Shulman (piano) - Doug Beavers (trombone)
- Jarrett Cherner (piano) – David Alt (tenor sax, clarinet)
- Sam Bevan (bass) – Jon Monahan (guitars)
- Gabe Davis (bass) – Brian Rice (percussion)
- Matt Swindells (drums) – Chabela Yrigoyen (backing vocals)
- Mike Olmos (trumpet) – Jeanette Sarmiento (backing vocals)
- Joel Behrman (trumpet, flugelhorn, trombone)
FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD
when you sign up for Lisa’s newsletter!
Lisa Engelken – Ain’t Dead Yet Zip (4.8MB includes MP3 and album cover)
Ain’t Dead Yet is a “swamp Gospel” written by Lisa and released on her first jazz album “Cosmopolitan.”
Lisa wrote “Ain’t Dead Yet” for the SF production “A Lie of the Mind” by Sam Shepard (Bare Bones Theatre Co., The Phoenix Theatre).
The CD cover art features the painting “Cosmopolitan” by Bay Area artist Theresa Moore.